Tr6; Cracked differential mounts

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Tr6; Cracked differential mounts
From: "Jack R. Clark" <drjclark@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 1998 22:13:08 -0600
Hey listers,

I had been hearing the proverbial "clunk" for a few weeks now
and since i could not find any obvious problem with the
u-joints (replaced them) or, at this stage, the diff mounts,
I had no other choice but to remove the differential.

Upon separating the rear u-joint flange from the pinion
flange I was suprised to see oil leaking from in between them.
About 4oz. of oil leaked out altogether. Obviously a failed
oil seal. Upon inspection of the right front mount, I found a
crack running the entire width of the surface of the mount
which meets flush with the rubber bushing.

My questions are:

1. Can this crack simply be welded since it does not involve
   the chassis?

2. What type welder works best with this thickness, and type
   of metal.

3. Does anyone have any experience with the reinforcements
   sold by TRF?

Thanks,
Jack '74 TR6 Cf23352