Unleaded fuel

To: bjohnson@mmm.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Unleaded fuel
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 17:11:12 EST

> We have a lot of correspondence  in the magazine about unleaded fuel  and
>  what we can do about it at present (the UK goes unleaded on Jan 1st 2000 I
>  think)     -     Does anyone in the USA  have any good advice about this?
>  My  TR4 came from somewhere in Washington State   and has valve seat
>  inserts.  Are they likely to be what I need for unleaded fuel ?
>
>  Brian Johnson

Brian, methinks you guys in the UK are making way too big a deal about
unleaded fuel.  ("The sky is falling" - courtesy of Chicken Little).  We North
Americans have been running unleaded fuel for years (since the late '70's, I
think, although I was overseas for most of that decade.)  I have heard very
few "horror stories" about our older cars breaking apart or blowing up on
unleaded fuel.  And the few stories that I have heard were usually from some
"nervous nelly" who didn't appear to know what he was talking about.

What we do here is replace the valve seats with hardened seats when we rebuild
the engines.  If your engine was rebuilt in the US it probably has the
hardened seats which will protect it from wear.  But even if it doesn't have
them, I wouldn't sweat it.  It will take many miles and much time for the
unleaded fuel to "ruin" your engine.  You would probably wind up rebuilding it
before then.  When you do a rebuild just put in the hardened seats.  Cheers.

Art Kelly