Re: TR3 steering rack conversion

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR3 steering rack conversion
From: John Cowan <jfcowan@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 08:55:40 -0800
Cc: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@server1.mail.virginia.edu>
Here is the post about the TR-3 rack and pinion conversion.
   John Cowan

Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 15:51:13 +0100
To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR 3 rack and pinion steering conversion
From: Denkmalamt_Hessen@t-online.de (Jan Viebrock)

Hi all of you TR 3 drivers,

there is a congenious conversion of the odd steering system of the TR 3
series
on the market, which is a simple bolt on solution which really works and
makes
all the difference!

The kit is available through CAR TRIM, 65527 Idstein, Germany. Contact Harald
through phone 0049 6128 735 13 or fax 0049 6128 735 12.

Cheers

Jan

TR 4 wired by the works' regulars in 63!

At 07:37 AM 11/3/98 -0500, you wrote:

>Hi Art,
>     You asked:
>
>>we had a discussion about switching a TR4 rack
>>and pinion steering unit to a TR3.  There were mixed opinions about how easy
>>this is to do.  One guy said he had tried it using a kit from Bob Shaler (?)
>>and it was not possible to make the swap.  Others maintained it was
possible.
>>Anyone who's done it, or seen it done, have any comments or suggestions?
>
>Since the TR-3 is so much narrower than the TR-4, the rack would have
>to be shortened to work properly.  A friend here in VA has fitted a
>bugeye Sprite rack to his TR-3A; that works quite well, although there
>is still a lot of modification involved.  There was some discussion on
>the list about a year ago or so about a company (maybe in Germany) who
>were offering a rack and pinion conversion that is supposed to be a
>bolt on swap for the TR-3.  If anyone is interested, I might be able
>to find contact info in my list of saved files...
>
>John Lye
>rjl6n@Virginia.edu

Visit - In Their Own Words Website - an on-line non-commercial publishing
experiment, plus movie reviews, articles and Left/Progressive links at:
                           http://home.earthlink.net/~jfcowan