TR3 Petrol gauge adjustment, wing nuts needed

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR3 Petrol gauge adjustment, wing nuts needed
From: "Coday Family" <coday@localaccess.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 1998 10:59:18 +0000
Comments: Authenticated sender is <Coday@Mail.localaccess.com>
When I took off the gauges and cleaned them, I appear to have mixed
up the adjustment of the fuel gauge.  I was driving around this week
enjoying having a speedometer (fixed with a new cable even though the
old cable was spinning) and thinking I must be getting great gas
mileage, the gas gauge kept reading 5/8 of a tank, then 1/2.  Then I
ran to a sputtering stop as the 1/2 tank reading turned out to be
empty.

Have taken the gauge off again, tried adjusting and it now reads
empty all the time.  So maybe this is progress?

Questions:  I have a green wire with black stripe on one terminal
(toward the full side of gauge) and a green wire and black wire on
the other terminal (toward empty side).  There is 12+ volts on the
green wire, no voltage on the other wires.  The terminals themselves
seem to be a bit loose to the gauge, there are also two sliding
adjustments which I assume control sensitivity to empty and full.

Is this wired correctly?  Am I getting the empty reading because of
the sliding adjustments?

Gas tank is full right now.

Other items of passing interest, the motor was running pretty rough,
sputtering on acceleration from low rpm.  I was planning to take a
look at the carbs, but when I refilled the tank, it runs great.  Must
have had some crud at the bottom of the tank.  I think I was lucky to
run it through the motor without apparent problems.

Last:  I need a couple of 2 BA wingnuts for the instrument cluster,
does anyone have a couple to spare?

Thanks,

Geezer

TS52320L