Re:Stromberg Needle Height

To: "Janssen; Lee K" <lee.k.janssen@lmco.com>, "'triumphs'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re:Stromberg Needle Height
From: Bud_Rolofson@nps.gov (Bud Rolofson)
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 17:26:22 -0400
Lee,

I have more questions than answers at this point.

Is it running lean over 2500 at full throttle (acceleration), part throttle
(cruising), closed throttle (deceleration)? What are the sensors showing during
those stages?  There are the ever friendly emission devices that could be
factoring into the change in mixture at some of these stages.

Why do you suspect the needle?

Most of the needle that is below the shoulder of the needle, and thus below the
air valve, is in the jet assembly as far as I can tell.  You should be able to
tell if your needle needs replacing by putting it on a flat surface and rolling
it while making sure the shoulder is in full contact with the flat surface.
Watch the point of the needle as you roll it, if it moves up and down it's bent
and should be replaced.  You can also slide a feeler gage under the midpoint of
the needle while its on the flat surface and then roll it exactly halfway over
and check the gap again if they're equal then the needle is straight.

The needle doesn't rub against anything in operation so if it has wear that
shows or linear marks or scratches then replace it.  The jet would also be worn
so replace it too since that's what it was rubbing against.

Bud 71TR6 CC57365