Re: Re-emergence of Triumph and Austin Healey names

To: "William Davies" <w.davies@virgin.net>, "Triumphs List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Re-emergence of Triumph and Austin Healey names
From: "Michael Marr" <mmarr@idcnet.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 08:54:01 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
I have to agree with Bill on this - Austin-Rover is an oxymoron!  In the
heyday of the English auto industry after WWII (the big one, per Archie
Bunker!), when I was a young lad growing up in England, Austin, Morris,
Ford, Vauxhall and Hillman were the "popular" cars; Riley, Sunbeam,
Wolseley, Singer were more "up-market", sporty saloons; Rover, Humber,
Daimler and Jaguar were even more up-market "gentlemen's carriages", with RR
and Bentley at the pinacle.  Triumphs, MGs, A-Hs were popular-priced sports
cars and, of course, there were the exotica of Aston-Martins, E-Types, etc
etc.  The point of this is that a driver expected a certain level of
quality, performance and equipment to be associated with these names, just
as we do in the US with Chevy, Pontiac, Buick and Cadillac.  If BMW
continues with this tradition when they bring back such names as Triumph and
A-H, and eschews the concept of badge-engineering as practised so diligently
by BMC/BL in the 60s and 70s, then more power to them.  I, for one, would
love to see an appropriately styled and equipped Wolseley 6/200, based on,
say, a 5-series platform, or a Riley 2.0 based on the 3-series.  And what
about a revived Triumph Dolomite?  The possibilities are endless...