TR3 starter/solenoid/wiring question update

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR3 starter/solenoid/wiring question update
From: "Coday Family" <coday@localaccess.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 08:37:13 +0000
Comments: Authenticated sender is <Coday@Mail.localaccess.com>
Thanks for the confirmation and suggestions.  I tried switching
batteries, no effect.  But the nature of the hanging starter in this
case is that the starter continues to crank the motor after I release
the dash button or the ignition button on the solenoid.

I have the solenoid wired correctly, large brown wire to the negative
terminal on the solenoid, large starter cable on the lower terminal,
white with red stripe to the side terminal of the solenoid.

Have slept on the problem and come up with the next test:  will
disconnect the white with red stripe to side terminal, then can jump
the starter from the solenoid switch or hold the white/red to the
side terminal and invite my wife or one of the twins to hit the
dashbutton.  If the starter disengages as it should, this would
suggest that I have a short that is powering the white/red stripe
wire beyond the time the dashbutton is pushed.

I have been trying to avoid taking the dash off,  it appears that
many of the DPO's have engaged in some electricial engineering under
there, I don't think any of them have their PHD's judging from the
confusion of wires.

Thanks John, Paul and Ken for the suggestions.  I didn't hear from
Ringo, is he driving a TR these days?

Any more ideas?  Any way I can avoid pulling the dash and tackling
the wiring mess?

Geezer

<< This brown wire appears to jump the main
 power to the ignition switch and it seems to me that it should be
 connected to the top terminal of the solenoid, this is the battery
 side of this device.  There is also a small white wire with red
 stripe that attachs to a small spade connector.  I assume this is the
 power from the dash button to engage the solenoid.

 What am I missing here?  The large brown wire has to be on the
 battery terminal of the solenoid, doesn't it?   >>
Yes the brown wire is continuous with the negative battery terminal. The
white/red wire should go to a separate connector on the solenoid. The W/R wire
goes to the starter switch, the brown goes to fusebox and ammeter.

Ken Nuelle
58 TR3A
62 TR3B
64 TR4