Re: non-functional rear brakes

To: A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au, gernot.vonhoegen@stir.ac.uk
Subject: Re: non-functional rear brakes
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 22:47:22 EDT
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 98-06-24 22:33:25 EDT, A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au writes:

> BTW, a friend of mine reckons copper brake lines will work-harden and
>  fatigue, due to vibration, and that I should stick with the factory steel
>  ones.

Allen,

This is outside my area of interest, but I won't let that stop me from having
an opinion! Yes, copper pipe will work harden, as will steel, but only if you
allow the pipe to flex from the vibrations. The pipe should be mounted rigidly
enough to the frame rails that there is no flex. Any connections between two
components that move with respect to each other should be of flexible hose.

Will the frame flex enough to be a problem?

I will be routing brake lines in my TR6/302 soon, so I will follow this thread
with interest.

I don't know which is best for brake lines, but copper is a better conductor
of electricity than steel (just so I don't stray too far from something I know
a little about!).

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74