tr6 gearbox/clutch q's

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: tr6 gearbox/clutch q's
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 10:38:49 -0600
Hi all,

This weekend I noticed a peculiar thing with my TR6. When I have the O/D
engaged (J-type) and I shift from 4th to 3rd then back to 4th, the 3 --> 4
shift causes a slight "grind". Doing the exact same thing with O/D off
produces a clean shift with no grinding.

I did recently pull out my pedal box to have the clutch pedal's ovalized
hole filled and re-drilled to remove the "slop" in the clutch linkage. When
doing this, I unfortunately relocated the hole about 1/8" farther away. I
tried to compensate by using a slightly longer rod for the clutch master cyl
(got the rod from a local bone yard - no idea what car it came off).

I understand how having a shorter throw in the clutch could cause the grind
because the clutch is not fully releasing but why would it only occur with
the O/D on? I can't recall for sure but I think the rpm's were about the
same in both situations (O/D on and O/D off).

Any ideas?

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
Calgary AB Canada