4 wheel discs - prepare to die ?!?

To: DANMAS@aol.com
Subject: 4 wheel discs - prepare to die ?!?
From: Dave Terrick <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 10:09:11 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Dan, and list:

I thought the brake bias thing was "self adjusting" - that is, the rear
cylinders start to leak and reduce their pressure automatically!

Now, a true story.

My GT6 was raced years ago and had (has) a non stock setup called "safety
brakes".  They are a crude form of ABS involving pressure accumulators just
off the master cylinder.  The fittings are kinda hoky things involving
olives (really.  it passed tech then and even now).  However, unlike the
standard setup they are universal and the lines can be fitted backwards.
As in....BACKWARDS BRAKE PROPORTIONING!.

Now, I obviously do not have one of the 50/50 cylinders but a 70/30 kind.

Guess what happened the first race weekend during practise?

Running into turn 1 at about 100 mph I lay into the binders.  The car DOES
NOT nosedive as I expect but feels like someone threw out an anchor.
Literally.  No dive, and no slowing.  Then the rears locked up.  Then I
wished I had brown nomex.  No I did not crash.

However,  fitting the lines the correct way 'round didn;t cahnge
everything.  GT6's still have no brakes compared to VW's and other modern
cars.  I now can lock up all 4 wheels in well balanced form.

To those wanting a 4 wheel disc conversion I say - fine if it is for show -
but first fit GT6 front brakes (TR6 calipers)  on a spit and see what
deceleration really means.

Dave Terrick
69 GT6+
Winnipeg