Re: Engine Shipping

To: "Carter, Howard C" <Howard.Carter@PSS.Boeing.com>
Subject: Re: Engine Shipping
From: "Peter J. Thomas" <pjthomas01@snet.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 14:08:44 -0400
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

Carter, Howard C wrote:

> Hello listers,
> I need to ship an engine from Hartford, Connecticut to Seattle,
> Washington.  Does anyone know the best, & most economical way to handle
> this?  Please reply directly, to howard.c.carter@boeing.com, since I am
> digesting at this time.
> Thanks, Howard

  Never shipped an engine, but I have had 300 board feet of lumber shipped
from North Carolina to Oxford, CT.  Cost was a little over $100.  It was
delivered by Roadway.  You can find them in the SNET yellow pages under
"Trucking - Motor Freight".   I also had a table saw and a 40" ladder
delivered by them.

The driver delivered the wood, board by board, to the rear of the truck.
Most freight places only deliver to rear of the truck.  It's your
responsibility to get it off the truck.  My wife to delivery of the table
saw and the ladder.  The driver unloaded both for her but stated that it
wasn't his job.  You might be able to specify that the truck have a lift.

You will have to crate the engine.  The table saw was delivered on a pallet
and boxed with cardboard and styrofoam.  Although the saw was undamaged,
the box took a beating.

My suggestion would be to pick up a couple of pallets.  Mount the engine to
one pallet and use the wood from the other to box it in.  One very good
source of free pallets is a place that sells lawn tractors.  Since they
have to pay to dispose of them they are usually more than happy to have
some reduce the pile.

Best of luck,

Peter Thomas