Re: heads

To: "INTERNET:rgb@exact.com" <rgb@exact.com>, "INTERNET:triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: heads
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 13:54:11 -0400
Message text written by INTERNET:rgb@exact.com
>Stellite or SS, not certain, TRF only sells one.  Only exhaust seats,
>to do both causes weakness as I understand it.  Only the exhaust needs
>to be hardened anyway and this is deemed optional by most folks....
<
__________
Roger, thanks for the input.  I guess the valves that TRF sells are
not the"soft" "stock" ones, but ones appropriate for use with
valve seat inserts?

I had not thought about doing only the exhaust valve seats.  Of course
they do run hotter than the intake!  I see in the factory manual, that
when both seats are required, then you need to do the intake first then
bore the exhaust and cut into the edge of the intake insert.  I can see
that this would weaken the intake seat somewhat.  The picture
shows the overlap, looks like less than 1/16".  Only doing the exhaust
seats would save some money, and probably the intakes do not need
any fixing at all.

>Valve springs usually check out okay.  there is a length/pressure measure
>somewhere.

I can't find that number.  I see only the free length in the factory
manual.
Anybody else know  the length/load specifications for a TR4A valve spring?

As for the head itself, I think I will have a minimal skim, just to get rid
of any warp.  Should I do this?  Maybe the head warp matches any
warp in the block??

-Tony