unstuck bonnet -- thanks!! Now...archealogical dig...looking for sugges

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, rtr@tsquare.com
Subject: unstuck bonnet -- thanks!! Now...archealogical dig...looking for suggestions
From: Jon Moody <mood@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 22:23:52 -0400
Hi all,

I got my bonnet unstuck - thanks in particular to the suggestion for
using a screw driver to pry up the right hand side and going at it with
a coat hanger.

I bought this car sight unseen because it had OD and a hardtop.  I have
all of the paper work and I'm the third owner and it used to be
registered at the british embassy in DC.  I dont know when it was last
started.  It is bordering on parts car status but I'd hate to part it
out.

Here is a survey I've what I can tell so far.

Carbs parially disassembled - pistons missing -other than this missing
pistons, seem to be complete.  Is there any value to these carb bodies?
 I thought the pistons were "matched" to carb

Motor - no plugs but does have oil and antifreeze.  Could turn the fan.
 Tried to get the crank to move to see if the thrust washers have
dropped and couldn't move it.  Could really get leverage though

Dizzy cap gone but dizzy looks complete

Body - I think the car was hit at some point.  Front fenders arent
original I'm not sure about the bonnet.  Tub looks to be in decent shape
- no holes in floor pans but a fair amout of surface rust on floor -
everywhere else looks good.  Needs new rockers & rear deck.

Frame - cant see any damage up front and typical rust problems in back.
 If the car is a a keeper, the body has to come off as the frame either
needs to be replaced or welded.

Any suggestions as to best way to proceed are welcomed.  As it stands
now I'm gonna drain the oil and drop the oil pan and see if the thrust
washers are sitting in the pan.  If they aren't, I'll figure I have a
rebuildable motor.  Then I'll start disassembling at the front and work
my way back taking lots of pictures along the way.

I'm thinking I've lost my sanity given my general lack of time!!! Thanks
in advance for any suggestions.

Jon Moody '73 '71 TR6's

PS. any RTR members out who would like to see the car should e mail me -
I'd love your opinions. Thanks