RE: Starter acting up

To: "Kinderlehrer's" <kinderlehrer@mindspring.com>, "INTERNET:triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Starter acting up
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 21:40:41 -0400
Message text written by Kinderlehrer's
>Why does the engine only stop in 2 positions and not 4?  When I rock it, I
>usually get the engine to turn over one compression, and it still doesn't
>engatge right - either I messed up all the positions trying, or the
problem
>really is the starter.
<

Why two positions not four?  I think that it is that the crank turns twice
for
one complete cycle of the engine.  So, considering the total of 720
degrees of rotation to make one full cycle, then there are 4 compressions
 in that 720 degrees, or 1 every 180 degrees!  So, if you turn it, say,
45 degrees, you ought to be in a pretty good section of the ring gear.
 Unfortunately you may have buggered the pinion on the starter too.
($75 from Moss!!!)  It ought to be easy to unbolt the starter and check
the pinion and the starter ring.  What kind of sound did you say it makes?

Just a spin, or a spin and grind without turning of the flywheel?
Spin: maybe good.   Grind: maybe bad.

-Tony