RE: TR4A Questions

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: TR4A Questions
From: Chip Old <fold@bcpl.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 17:45:53 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 24 Apr 1998, Tony Rhodes wrote:

> It would appear strange that that TR4A you saw (CTC72451) had
> Stromberg carbs.  The info that I have is that they ended around
> CT62190.  Also, as I recall, mine (CTC73336L) had a card under the
> rug saying something about build date August or September 1966,
> and it has SU's.
>
> Maybe the carbs are not original in CTC72451?  I know for a fact
> that mine did come with SU.
>
> Maybe the Change-over commission number is approximate.  Maybe
> there was extensive overlap.

Keep in mind that the published changeover points for TR4/4A carbs are by
engine number, not by commission number. I don't have my notes and manuals
here at work to check, but it's entirely possible that CTC72451 has an
engine number consistent with Stromberg carbs. TR4/4A engine numbers
usually correspond fairly closely with the commission numbers, but I've
seen some major factory original departures.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO
fold@bcpl.net