TR6 heater return pipe connection

To: Triumph list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR6 heater return pipe connection
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 13:20:08 -0700
I'm replacing my heater return pipe.  My adapter connecting to the water
pump is still in ok shape, but the compression fitting/nut is fused to
the old pipe.  I've searched the local hardware stores and none carry
this fitting.  However, they all have a single piece to replace both the
adapter and the fitting for only $.99.

My questions to the wisdom of the list:  Why is there both an adapter
and a fitting to connect the pipe to the water pump housing?   Is there
any reason why I shouldn't do it with a single part?

Thanks,

Brian Kemp
72 TR6