Re: Geting the Bugs out, rubber value

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Geting the Bugs out, rubber value
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 07:06:34 -0700
>I have found this to especially true of ALL rubber parts.   It looks like a
>lot of the rubber that the big three sell has been waiting for a client
>since the car was new in 1970-something.  All that time has taken a toll on
>the polymer chain lenth and results in early failure.
I used to think this true also, with a failure of a brand new OEM
replacement window seal for the GT6.  Within a couple of years it started
cracking around the corner of the windscreen.  But then I noticed that the
rubber hoses on the engine in the shed, original hoses with the cloth
covering on them were still soft and pliable, no cracks and in as good
shape as when the engine was removed from the car about 17 years ago (as
well as the fan belt).  I think (and this is sometimes a dangerous thing)
that the materials as used 'way back then' are not available, too costly,
or more probably not legal to use anymore and the newly created 'better'
replacement materials are used.  The result is that in some cases the
seals, hoses, belts etc. were not designed with this material in mind and
as such don't last as the original ones did-but as usual, this is only my
onion.  Your mileage may vary-

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (project)
73 Ford Courier (parts hauler, rain vehicle, getting a V6 soon!)