lubricating cables

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: lubricating cables
From: Colin R Fenn <erasmus@fenn.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 23:24:58 +0100
>Mark S. Lepore, MD wrote:

>> how did you guys do it?  Did you disconnect from the gauges, and lube the
ends, or
>> remove the whole cable?

Its worth mentioning Frost's cable-lube tool. Its a 6-inch steel cylinder that
you
place over the top of a cable and fill with oil. Its secured by rubber washers
around the cable sleeve. Its top screws down and forces the oil through the
cable. Its not an entirely clean process, but you know where to catch the drips,
plus you know that your cable is completely lubed. It takes a few minutes, and
is so simple that I use normal engine oil. For cars I remove the cable before
oiling. For motorcycles I do it in-situ.
I bought for about 10 GBP from Motorcycle News who had a promoton for it.
Usual disclaimers apply here - no relation, etc - I'm just a satisfied customer.
C. R. Fenn  '80 TR7 dhc  London
C. R. Fenn  '80 TR7 dhc  London