RE: TR6 carburetors

Subject: RE: TR6 carburetors
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 17:31:22 -0600
Cc: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Lex,

I agree with others who have posted on this already. Don't feel
intimidated by this task. (Apple charges $345 - including the throttle
shaft rebushing - for a pair in the catalog I have). It is a rewarding
experience to do yourself. I did mine last summer after receiving much
encouragement from the list. I got the Haynes manual as well as my
Bentley. A rebuild kit (from Moss in my case, they are available
elsewhere also) is not too expensive - you will have many more parts and
gaskets than you will use, they are sort of universal (to a point)..

Key is to take it slow and do one at a time. Probably best to not
disassemble the choke, temp compensator or bypass valves. Make sure your
kit includes new throttle seals - if not get them separately (cheap and
easy to install). These are the rubber seals, not the bushings. If you
can get new brass screws to hold the throttle plates on the shafts
great, if not just reuse the old ones. Make sure to set the float level
twice before putting the carbs back on.

Use carb cleaner from an auto parts store, you will likely need quite a
bit. Take the time to polish up the dashpot tops, the aluminum really
shines afterwards! Your engine bay will look great!

Check out

        http://www.cyberbia.com/~peterz/tr6/carbs/carbs_out.html
        http://www.cyberbia.com/~peterz/tr6/carbs/fuel_lines.html

for some images of my carbs after the rebuild. (Unfortunately no
"before" shots).

As for your missing or damaged linkage, I suggest checking out a local
wrecker. Although I recall from an earlier discussion you might not have
a lot of selection in this regard in Shelby? The new parts for this
might add up so searching around might be worthwhile. Although if it is
just the parts between the two carbs, that looks like about $30 from the
VB catalog I have handy at work. Definitely worth putting this back
cause it helps to make sure both carbs get equal "throttle".

Good luck!

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
Calgary AB Canada