re: LBC Insurance

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net (IPM Return Requested)
Subject: re: LBC Insurance
From: William Elliott <William.Elliott@mail.mei.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 11:46:56 -0500
Just some misc. opinions from my experience with classic car insurance:

-Locked Garage:  If you have a claim (or someone in your geographical area has
a claim), agencies sometimes send an adjuster around to verify that a locked
garage exists.  Better have sufficient locked garage space for each car
insured.  Urban areas carefully scrutinized.

-Claims outside of the policy:  If you have a claim for any reason and you
cannot prove it was within the specific use limits of the policy: no pay.  (Car
vandalized at home.. not locked up... no pay;  Car hit in supermarket parking
lot... no pay)  Actual coverage is very limited and strictly enforced.

-Friend had 10 cars insured with a national firm.  (Additional cars were free
after coverage of the three most expensive ones.)  Won a regional club
autocross; got his picture (with the car) on the newsletter cover.  Two weeks
later, the company canceled his policy on all 10 cars for participating in a
"contest involving speed".  Appealed to no avail.

-Mileage... never had a company try to verify that a customer was within
mileage limitations.... found this rather curious.  Guess if the car was 1000
miles from home on a 2000 mile policy....

Overall, I find insurance to be a legalized form of organized crime but a
necessary evil in our modern litigious society.  However, if you examine a
"classics" policy to see under what set of circumstances it would actually pay
off, you might this type of coverage a waste of money for many "classics". That
Aston Martin DB5, on the other hand....

Bill Elliott
Lake Mills, WI
TR6 and other "cheap" classics