Re: spitfire poly bushings

To: <RICHARD.JACKSON@NENE.AC.UK>, "Childs, David" <dchilds@epri.com>
Subject: Re: spitfire poly bushings
From: "Lawrence R Zink" <zink@pdq.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 03:03:43 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, <RICHARD.JACKSON@NENE.AC.UK>
I tried that originly, but after being in place for 33 years, they wanted to
stay home and not tonight dear I have a headache.  I wound up having to burn
the darn things out and then use emery cloth to clean up the inside of the
hole.  This is not a pleasant task.  Especially when your S.O. (insert)
spouse, girlfriend, boyfriend (for those of an alternate life style)  wants
to know if you know what your doing.  I had to use my recipricating saw to
cut through the bolts just to get them accessable.  You know,  break a few
blades, cuss a lot, throw stuff around that you have to hunt for later.  And
, of course, you ask yourself,  "Why in the bloody hell did I start this?".
We all know the answer,  come on now,  the answer is......... Shipwright's
Desease.  It's a form of insanity common among those of us that own LBC's.
You figure, Hey , $15 for those neat poly busings, $5 for the new nuts,
bolts and washers.  This shouldn't take more than a couple of hours to do.
And three days later, after the parts arrive, while your poor car is sitting
in a state of partial dismemberment,  You still don't have the parts ready
to go back in.  All looks hopeless, you go and have your favorite libation
(beer). Ponder the meaning of life, have another libation or two, and a
sudden thought stikes you.  Hey, I have a couple of shop manuals here
someplace,  I guess I could read them.  Surely they can tell me what to do,
ennnnnt(buzzer noise),  wrongo Beer breath,  Who in the Sam Hill wrote these
damn things.  Why can't someone write a shop manual for those who use it,
most of us are not Automotive Engineers.  Heck some of us are not even
Engineers of any kind,  except for my modle railroad. (tongue in cheek).
Okay, I'm wandering again, it happens to me late at night.  Especially after
trying to get something to fit into place when you just took it apart.
ie,  the brake pads they sent me will not fit into the calipers.  The darn
things are about 1/8 inch wider than the ones that came out.  Even took the
grinder to them and ground off the excess metal on both sides of the pad
material.  Now they fit in the caliper, but I can't get them over the new
rotor.  I can buy pads and shoes for my '66 Thunderbird,  but I can't find
the correct pads for the Spit.  Has anyone had a similar experience?

Larry Zink
1964 Spitfire4 Mk1
Houston, Texas