TR3A Project update - TS81802LO

To: "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR3A Project update - TS81802LO
From: "Musson, Carl" <musson@satie.arts.usf.edu>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 23:22:19 -0400 charset="iso-8859-1"
I have been reading the thread on the SPAX shocks with some interest.  I
posted a question to Henry (thanks for the response!) and thought I
would pass along an update on TS81802LO...

        Henry has suggested that although the PO completed the chassis,
that he " would take it all apart, verify good parts and quality
workmanship, and reassemble. It is just too important, too much at
stake. You got one hell of a deal, and it sounds like you are doing it
right, putting the car back together right. To have disaster strike when
something stupid falls off would ruin your day."

I'll keep that in mind.   I don't cherish the idea of breaking it down
and putting it back together, but he might be right.   I have some time
to think about it.  I am curious whether the rearend is a standard or
one for an o/d car.   Serial number on it is TS80411 which is in the
ball park to match with the Commission number.   Does the BHIMT certi
list that number along with body/engine?   I found a whole bunch of
receipts in a '91 Moss Catalog that show the following were evidently
put on the chassis: new Brake Lines; new Front & Rear Shocks; new Coils
in front; and new Leaf Springs in rear.  Also a receipt for a steering
box rebuild.

My thoughts are that on the engine/clutch/tranny it appears that the
only things that the PO had not brought up to top quality were the rear
oil seal and the rear tranny seal (oh, and the carbs).  It wasn't all
mated up yet, so that might have been the point at which he stopped.
The head that came with the car was trash.  (That is the one thing I had
done on my driver - updating it for unleaded, etc.) Also in the receipts
I found that:  It has 87mm pistons (a surprise); new dizzy; new sport
coil; new fuel pump; new water pump (although the pulley had the wrong
offset); new fan blade; new generator; new starter; new aluminum
competition sump; new B&B clutch.    Also, the flywheel had a new
surface - not sure if it was new or what (no rect) and of course a new
(YES THAT IS NEW in the box with rec't from some outfit in GB) O/D unit.
The tranny was converted from standard and the only problem there is
that there is no filler plug on top.  Have to fill from the side.  [Is
this a problem - not getting enough fluid in the tranny/od unit?]   I
have another top piece and I think I will see if I can drill/tap/install
a filler (a weekend project somewhere in the distant future).

This weekend I am tackling the carb rebuild (I hope) including all new
linkage (the carbs, rebuild kit and linkage came with the car).

I put the engine/clutch/tranny in my driver using my head and carbs and
the difference is is unreal.  (Although I think I need to do the front
wheel bearings.)  I didn't use the new generator or starter; will save
them for when I switch it over to the new project.

I am working slowly on the body.  A few surprises came out when bead
blasting.  I will have to replace the passenger side dogleg and do a
little patchwork on the front wings just in front of the a-post.  There
was damage on the right front wing and at the left rear overrider which
had been been drilled and pulled straight (somewhat poor job).  The
driver's side floor has quite a few holes in it and will need to be
patched also.   Battery box will need to be replaced (one in the parts
that came with it).  Rockers are solid;  trunk/spare compartment solid
(the drip channel in the trunk lid has no rust damage).
Front inner wings are dented in at headlamp recess; but no big problem.

I am still working on the complete inventory of parts.  I do know that
all of the electrical components across the firewall are brand new
including the wiper motor.  I haven't found a flasher yet, but it is
probably there somewhere.   All guages are in as new condition except
the fool cut the temp guage capilliary.  Also all lights and switches
are new in the package (although he had the wrong O/D switch).  The
speedo reads 42386.  Paperwork with purchase shows a tune up at 39700 in
Oct,1986.  Most of the parts were purchased in 1989-1991.  There is also
a new stainless steel exhaust system just waiting to be put on.  Also, a
new Brake & Clutch Master Cylinders & Reservoir; and a new Clutch Slave
Cylinder.

The shortfall is the interior - Nothing.  Since I just put new tan top;
tonneau; sidecurtains; interior trim, cappings, & seats on my driver, I
am thinking about switching them over to the new project and putting the
ok black ones in the driver.  There is a set of new black carpets with
the project and not sure what I am going to do there.  I don't like the
tan carpet I put in the driver.  Shows the crud too much.  That decision
will be made down the road.   Will probably have to spring for a new
bumper and re-chrome on the windshield stanchions/frame but most of the
other chrome/bright work is new.   And, I haven't decided on the color
yet.   I still like the looks of the white, but maybe it is time for a
change.    BHIMT on order, maybe that will persuade me...

BTW - the receipts totaled $9,283.36.   My total out-of-pocket at this
point = $2,321.48.
OK - that's enough gloating for now.

Drive careful,
Later,
Carl F. Musson,
'58 TR3A - TS25264L - borrowing the engine/tranny from
'60 TR3A - TS81802LO - body off restoration in progress...
Tampa, Florida (USA)
E-Mail: Musson@arts.usf.edu <mailto:Musson@arts.usf.edu>
http://www.arts.usf.edu/~musson/triumph/
<http://www.arts.usf.edu/~musson/triumph/>  (Pics of the new project