Re[2]: Problem d'jour

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: Re[2]: Problem d'jour
From: jbonina@nectech.com
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 10:19:16 -0500
Cc: blang@mit.edu, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
     Thanks Andy,

     I already did maintenance on the ground cable. I guess I'll try the
     positive side right down to the starter. There isi no corrosion at the
     battery terminals.

     Is it possible the solenoid is stuck?

     Jeff

Subject: Re: Problem d'jour
Author:  Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov> at SMTP
Date:    4/2/98 10:00 AM

On Thu, 2 Apr 1998 jbonina@nectech.com wrote:

>      '73 TR6
>

>      When I turn the key all I get is click-click. I've checked the battery
>      with a meter -and- a hydrometer; 12.88 volts and all 4 balls floating
>      tight to the top respectively. So the battery is not the problem.
>
>      Is it juice going to the solenoid?

Maybe; maybe not (or likely not enough).

>      How do I track this down?

Check for current at, say, the solenoid. Or, as an even simpler first
step, gently tap on the battery terminal clamps. Perhaps they're just a
bit corroded and are not allowing full juice to pass. Same with the the
other end of each cable -- to ground and to solenoid(?). Sometimes just
"disturbing" these connections (SEE: tap, gentle, hammer, as above) is
enough to restore them temporarily. But it's a good bit of "regular
maintenance" to remove, clean up and replace these various connections
once or twice a year.

--Andy