Re: Problem d'jour

To: jbonina@nectech.com
Subject: Re: Problem d'jour
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 1998 10:01:40 -0500 (EST)
Cc: blang@MIT.EDU, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Thu, 2 Apr 1998 jbonina@nectech.com wrote:

>      '73 TR6
>

>      When I turn the key all I get is click-click. I've checked the battery
>      with a meter -and- a hydrometer; 12.88 volts and all 4 balls floating
>      tight to the top respectively. So the battery is not the problem.

Okay, but you're only halfway to eliminating the battery.

While holding the DMM on the battery, have someone else try to start the
car. Does the voltage dive? Does it go below 10 volts? If so, the
cranking capacity of the battery may be bad. If your DMM has clip leads,
you could clip it onto the battery and then situate the display so that
you can see it from inside the car when you try to start it.

If not (voltage stays more or less above 10 volts...) then you've
isolated a problem with either the connections to the starter or the
starter solenoid is bad or the starter itself has some problem...

>      Is it juice going to the solenoid?

The answer is: put the meter to the solonoid and see.

What is probably happening is that you are either getting voltage drop
across the starter cable, the connection at the starter is loose or
corroded, or the starter itself is bad.

>      How do I track this down?

See above.

>      Domo Arigato,
>      Jeff

rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |