Re: Deposit on car - non lbc

To: passaretti@sol.med.ge.com
Subject: Re: Deposit on car - non lbc
From: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 98 11:47:23 PST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Mike,
        > This is why deposits are (IMHO) necessary.  I've had several
        > cars sold out from underneath verbal commitments...
        [snip]
        > If I were a more litigious person I would have
        > nailed his nether regions to a pole.

I'm not an expert at law, but I thought verbal agreements dont amount
to very much, so I dont understand your comment "If I were a more litigious
person I would have nailed his nether regions to a pole".  At least, I dont
understand how you could get away with it.

I thought that if a deposit was accompanied by something in writing
(one would be foolish to do otherwise) then that was some sort of
a binding contract.  I did not know that verbal agreements were
legally binding.

Could you (or some other lister) explain in lay language why you could
take this person to court based on a verbal agreement?  All of us
on the list buy and sell cars at some stage in our lives, and we dont
want to get caught out!

        Shane Ingate in San Diego