Re: Electric fans, a practical question

To: romano@bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk
Subject: Re: Electric fans, a practical question
From: James <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 10:31:34 +0000
Cc: james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
The mechanical fan still houses the waterpump, you need to keep the
three pullys, but just undo the bolts conecting the fan to the pully
barrel, and remove.  Keep the same fan belt, although it will should now
be called water pump and altinator belt.  Once off you need to get a
fan, the modifications I have seen use an Austin Miestro fan because
they are big and thin.  This in mounted in front, so that it pushed air
through.  You know need to conect a themostat, or switch.

The modification I have seen goes like this.
Cut the thermostat holder out of an broken radiator at a scrap yard,
they don't like you cutting down good ones.
Cut a hole in your existing radiator.  The bit I don't like.
Then with a blow tourch solder the holder in, and fit a thermostat.
Fill up and check for leaks.

Radiators are made of copper or brass, so soldering is easy and the
correct way to do it.  The exception some of the later Austins radiators
which were big plastic things.

Next you need to run some wires and wire up the fan in serise with the
switch.
--
James Carpenter
Yellow '79 spit wired by a trained marmot