Re: TR4A horse power

To: "Peter J. Thomas" <pjthomas01@snet.net>
Subject: Re: TR4A horse power
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 13:40:04 -0500 (EST)
Cc: Triumph <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Tue, 24 Mar 1998, Peter J. Thomas wrote:

> While reading the VTR page on the TR4A I noticed a decrepency in the
> horse power numbers.  The page says 140 BHP and my Bentley manual says
> 104 BHP.  I would tend to trust the manual.  Anyone which is correct?

104 bhp was the figure advertised by the factory.

> The page also mentions that 'Kas' Kastner got 150 bhp out of the
> engine.  Is number correct?  Assuming the manual is correct, this is an
> increase of 44 bhp, quite dramatic.

The actual increase may have been even more than 44 bhp, since car
manufacturers typically inflate their HP ratings. In order to know for
sure we would need before and after figures measured on the same
dynamometer.

Even so, a 44 bhp increase isn't really all that dramatic.  The stock TR
wet-liner four isn't very highly tuned, so there is lots of room for
improvement.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO
fold@bcpl.net