TR3B Boot (trunk) hinges

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR3B Boot (trunk) hinges
From: JoEllisTR3 <JoEllisTR3@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 02:51:00 EST
Does anyone know of a source of boot hinges for a '62 TR3B (Commission # TCF
series)? The Roadster Factory insists that the hinge only has ONE stud on the
shorter section that fastens to the car body (and two on the boot lid
section). My original hinges have TWO studs on the shorter, body end of the
hinge and two on the longer section. My brother's '62 TR3B (#TCF series) also
has two studs on the shorter section.

This is not the bonnet hinge, but the boot hinge. FYI, the bonnet hinges have
a different distance between the studs on the longer section of the hinge than
the boot hinges do. On my original hinges, the alternate stud location on the
longer section is not tapped. In fact, it appears that the longer sections are
outwardly the same for the bonnet and boot - just two different dimples
untapped for the studs. Yes, I know there is a left and right to both, too.

Has anyone else run across this problem? I want to fit the trunk lid to the
body with the replacement hinges, but not the single-stud type that TRF has.
The two-stud per section hinges make for a more stable fit. The original
hinges are quite worn, otherwise I would use them again. Any advice is most
welcome!

Joanna Ellis
(in the midst of restoration...)