TR4A Restoration

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR4A Restoration
From: Ct54531 <Ct54531@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 11:52:36 EST
Some odds and ends type questions:

Brakes: This car was in pretty good mechanical shape (at least the last time I
drove it - 1989) but the brakes had always been horrendous. I now know it was
the master cylinder -as in totally shot innards - but my parts car has a good
one. In any case, I'm going to go completely through the system.
First question: The calipers are off and they look good. I have no reason to
think they're not but is there a way to "pressure test" them off the car?
Compressed air, maybe? Can I screw a fitting in where the fluid goes (yes, I
broke one off the usual way).
Rotors are good thickness but rusty. Can they be sandblasted as long as the
result is within limits?
And the felt seals. They look ok. Should they be replaced anyway? One came off
on the hub bearing and one stayed on the stub axle. Does this matter - or mean
anything? If I replace them, my Autobooks manual says to glue them. What glue
is  used?
In working on the fron, I've noticed that the rybber boot (gaiter) on the left
tie rod is torn apart. Can one get the kind available now that wraps around
and snaps on or must everything come off?

Surely not the last set of questions I'll have. Thanks in advance.

                                                                   JMAC
Same with rear drums. Any reason not to sandblast?
Also the rear plate. Sandblast?
In that regard also, one of the screws that hold the drum to the hub was
somehow destroyed in the threads. I mean the slot is chewed up and the screw
is too deep in the hole in the drum. Maybe an overeager impact wrench? Anyway,
is there any way to come in from behind and get the whole assembly off (plate
to drum) - preferably without playing too much with the axle innards?
Can the hubs be sandblasted - assuming of course, I take the bearings out. Any
reason not to?
When reassembling. - may I assume that the same grease that works on today's
cars is ok for the TR?