Re: Need shift knob for Spit with O/D

To: Rod Randle <randle@concentric.net>
Subject: Re: Need shift knob for Spit with O/D
From: Hap Cohen <hap_cohen@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 22:40:02 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
At 05:55 PM 3/17/98 -0800, you wrote:

>I would be interested in finding out where to find the same part.  The
knob on
>my '78 Spit with O/D has reverse located to the right of fourth and down.
What
>I need is to the right of third and up.
>
>Rod Randle
>'78 Spit
>
>Kevin B. Rhodes wrote:
>
>> Hi gang! Poking around my little mongrel Spit getting her ready for a
>> summer on the road and remembered a bit that I need - the plastic top part
>> of the shift knob with the correct shift pattern on it. I ordered one from
>> Vicky Brit last summer to replace the broken one she came with and it had
>> the wrong pattern engraved on the top. Mine has reverse to the right of
>> third and up, the one it came with and the new one both have reverse to the
>> left of the 1-2 plane. Does this mean I have an early or a late O/D?
>> Supposedly the O/D is original to the 77 chassis - it does have an OU on
>> the end of the commission number. And where can I get the correct part -
>> the big three all list the same one I have. Or perhaps something is
>> assembled wrong in my linkage? I have never seen another Spit with O/D so I
>> don't know if it is right. Shifts perfectly though! O/D is a godsend on the
>> highway.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Kevin Rhodes
>> 69-80 (depending on what part you are looking at) Spitfire
>> 89 Volvo 745T (Soon to be sold)
>> 85 Peugeot 505S Turbodiesel (new member of family)
>> 84 VW Jetta GLI (no brake lights at the moment - Lucas??)
>> I seem to have WWII in the backyard at the moment!

Bentley shows the R to the left and up of 1.  The one that came on my Spit
is up and to the left of 3.  The Bentley I have is for '68-'74 and my Spit
is a '73.  Reverse is up and to the left of 1st.  Where is reverse on
yours?  Could be I have the one Kevin needs and Kevin has the one I need.
I was told by an engraving shop that they could correct the incorrect
location of the R.

Hap