Need shift knob for Spit with O/D

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Need shift knob for Spit with O/D
From: "Kevin B. Rhodes" <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 19:57:44 -0500
Hi gang! Poking around my little mongrel Spit getting her ready for a
summer on the road and remembered a bit that I need - the plastic top part
of the shift knob with the correct shift pattern on it. I ordered one from
Vicky Brit last summer to replace the broken one she came with and it had
the wrong pattern engraved on the top. Mine has reverse to the right of
third and up, the one it came with and the new one both have reverse to the
left of the 1-2 plane. Does this mean I have an early or a late O/D?
Supposedly the O/D is original to the 77 chassis - it does have an OU on
the end of the commission number. And where can I get the correct part -
the big three all list the same one I have. Or perhaps something is
assembled wrong in my linkage? I have never seen another Spit with O/D so I
don't know if it is right. Shifts perfectly though! O/D is a godsend on the
highway.

Thanks
Kevin Rhodes
69-80 (depending on what part you are looking at) Spitfire
89 Volvo 745T (Soon to be sold)
85 Peugeot 505S Turbodiesel (new member of family)
84 VW Jetta GLI (no brake lights at the moment - Lucas??)
I seem to have WWII in the backyard at the moment!