Re: distributors

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, "fred thomas" <vafred@erols.com>
Subject: Re: distributors
From: "Ross Vincenti" <RVincenti@lbfc.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 8:25 -0800
Fred wrote:

Listers, is there a easy way to remove the pin from the bottom of a dist.
shaft. This is the pin that holds the driving dog on. Also how hard is it
to remove the bushing from the shaft. I have a press but am just about to
try this ordeal. TIA   "FT"  1959 T/R 3-A
******************
Fred - if it is similar to the one in my Spitfire 4, the answer is
"maybe".  I tried to press mine out because the weights were stuck and
there was too much vertical play in the shaft and it needed to be
rebushed.  It was a bitch, and simply did not want to press out.  I then
used a punch to dimple the center and tried to drill it out.  That was no
more successful.  I finally gave up and obtained another dizzy from a
fellow list member for $25 - a good price.  My advice would be to make
some reasonable efforts to press it out, but if it doesn't budge, don't
waste a lot of time - see if you can get a replacement from somewhere or
someone.  At least that way you have a back up spare that is not great,
but can get you out of a jam if necessary.

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4
64 Porsche 356C Coupe