Re: Spit 1500 Rear end clonks

To: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Spit 1500 Rear end clonks
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 11:25:12 +0500 (EST)
Cc: Julian Daley <jjdd@umds.ac.uk>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Fri, 13 Mar 1998, Barry Schwartz wrote:

> >If it is the half shaft UJs, how big a job is it to change them ?  Is it
> >possible to do them without removing the half-shaft ?
> ********************************
> Julian,
> I have replaced them while the axles were on the car using two large
> C-clamps as presses, but I wouldn't recommend it.  It was really back
> breaking, twisted difficult work, and in the end determined it was easier
> (and I would have been less sore) to just take the whole assy off....

Barry, you beat me to the answer by a couple of minutes. I heartily second
this recommendation. What you're looking at is undoing four bolts/nuts on
the u-joint flange to the diff., one nut for the shock, one bolt/nut for
the radius arm, undoing the handbrake cable end clevis pin and unscrewing
the brake hose -- and it's off as a unit.

If there's any chance of the old joint refusing to surrender without a
fight (usually about a 98% chance), it's a lot easier to do this on a
workbench. And while it's easy to look at any other potential problems at
this time, you need not disassemble anything else to just replace the
u-joint.

--Andy