Re: Spit 1500 Rear end clonks

To: Julian Daley <jjdd@umds.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Spit 1500 Rear end clonks
From: Tory Johnson <toryj@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 09:09:26 -0800
Cc: triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
I know i've posted this before, but it could help to check the bolts
that hold the brake assembly onto the rear wheel. When i purchased my 78
Spitfire, i drove it several times hearing this (bumping, clacking,
knocking) noise coming from the passenger rear area. I asked the local
brit mechanic to check it out when i had it in to have the brake master
cylinder worked on. He said he could find nothing. The problem grew
increasingly worrisome as i drove it several more times, so i started
checking. I found that every one of the 4 bolts that hold on the
passenger-side rear brake assembly were loose.....in fact, one had come
completely out and was lodged near one of the brake shoes. I hope your
problem is as simple to fix as mine was.

Troy Johnson
78 Spitfire