Re: fuel leaks from stromberg carb (Spitfire)

To: Atwell Haines <carbuff@scooter.net>, Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>, Hector Agostini <agostinihp@earthlink.net>, Joseph J Burlein <tr6guy@juno.com>
Subject: Re: fuel leaks from stromberg carb (Spitfire)
From: r-james@tamu.edu
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 98 08:41:59
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Joe, Atwell, Hector, and Joseph (and others interested...)

Thanks for the thoughts about causes of and solutions for
the leaking Spitfire carb.

The consensus seems to be that the most probable cause is the
float valve sticking (even though I replaced mine with
two different new ones, the lines must be full of gunk,
so they keeps sticking).

My Spitfire has an original style mechanical fuel pump.  I
have not measured the pressure, but I expect it is much
higher than the 2.5 psi that Joe sets his regulator to.

Joe Curry's reason 5 seems appropriate to most problems I find
with these cars,  "It just wants to [leak]."

Someone noted that the Spitfire fuel will not leak out, even
if the float valve stays open.  A factor in my huge leak was
a pressurized tank.  The tank was full, and the car was gathering some
nice spring afternoon sunbeams, and when I found the big puddle,
I popped open the fuel filler cap and the tank was clearly pressurized.
I think I may have had my complicated fuel vapor recovery system
plumbed incorrectly, as there were no open ports on any of
the charcoal cannisters.  I am trying to figure out how
these should be plumbed, but I think at least one opening
needs to be vented to atmospheric pressure.

This weekend I am replacing the ZS carb with a Weber DGAV
(which will make this car's setup identical to my 1979 MG
Midget 1500 cc).  I don't have a fuel pressure regulator on
that system, and haven't had any reason to add one, but
most Weber literature indicates I should regulate the fuel
pressure.  At least I will change out the fuel filter and
blow out the lines.

Thanks,
Ray

Ray W. James, P.E., Ph.D.