Re: fuel leaks from stromberg carb (Spitfire)

To: Atwell Haines <carbuff@scooter.net>
Subject: Re: fuel leaks from stromberg carb (Spitfire)
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 17:57:23 -0800
Cc: r-james@tamu.edu, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Let me say a few words about leaking fuel on Spitfires.  Speaking from
experience, I found that the twin HS2's on my spit would leak for the
following reasons:

1.  Floats not adjusted correctly

2.  Gunk in the fuel lines causing the float valve to stick open.

3.  I have an electric fuel pump that will exert too mych pressure if
the regulator valve is adjusted much over 2.5 psi.

4.  The car is parked on a hill so that the detached float bowl is
higher than the carb inner surface base.

5.  They just "wanted to".

I was able to finally get all this sorted out with turning down the
regulator, adding in-line filters, changing the fuel tank, and adding
gross-jets.  Then I repainted the frame member because all that gas make
the paint on the freshly painted frame crinkle.

Joe Curry

--
"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible
 to travel across the country coast to coast without seeing