Re: Fuel octane ratings

To: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Fuel octane ratings
From: Robert Rudolphi <robertr@digex.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 21:00:40 -0800
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
I am able to buy Sunoco racing fuel here in Baltimore that is 98 octane.
It has a special name that I forget and is unleaded. Costs about $3 a
gallon but really cured my "pinging" problems. I would check with any local
Sunoco stations to see if they carry it. Someone had posted a way to make
your own high octane but it seemed pretty complex and I did not save the
message someone else may have it. My understanding with the off the shelf
additives is that while it says it may boost 3 to 5 points that means a
percentage of a gain meaning it would take 10 to 20 bottles of the additive
to get a 3 to 5 real octane gain per tank of gas.

At 08:31 PM 3/12/98 -0500, Tony Rhodes wrote:

>I have a '67 TR4A.  It is undergoing the final restorations prior to being
returned to the road
>after many years.  I always had trouble with run-on in the past.  I
remember this happening
>even when it was new!   I cured it with 100 octane low lead specialty
fuel.  That isn't really
>available to me anymore.  The manual says 100 octane is to be used.  Is
Sunoco 94 good
>enough?  What else can I do?
>
>Some have said something about mixing  Xylene or Toluene in some ratio
(maybe 1:5)
>to get something near 98 octane.  Anyone with experience with this?  Where
do you get such large quantities of this stuff?  What about "104 Octane+"
and those over-the-counter additives?  I think they may well be a bunch of
garbage.