Fuel octane ratings

To: "INTERNET:triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Fuel octane ratings
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 20:31:45 -0500
I have a '67 TR4A.  It is undergoing the final restorations prior to being
returned to the road
after many years.  I always had trouble with run-on in the past.  I remember
this happening
even when it was new!   I cured it with 100 octane low lead specialty fuel.
That isn't really
available to me anymore.  The manual says 100 octane is to be used.  Is Sunoco
94 good
enough?  What else can I do?

Some have said something about mixing  Xylene or Toluene in some ratio (maybe
1:5)
to get something near 98 octane.  Anyone with experience with this?  Where do
you get such large quantities of this stuff?  What about "104 Octane+" and
those over-the-counter additives?  I think they may well be a bunch of garbage.

Anything else to cure the run-on?

-Tony