Re: Rear Disc Brakes/Asteroids

To: ABunch726 <ABunch726@aol.com>, RVincenti@lbfc.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Rear Disc Brakes/Asteroids
From: Trevor Jordan <tjordan@pa.ausom.net.au>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 11:33:20 +1000
At 4:31 AM +1000 13/3/98, ABunch726 wrote:
>The other type uses some sort of threaded piston inside the caliper.
>When the parking brake is pulled it spins the piston and extends it out of the
>caliper to push the pad against the rotor.

This sounds like the type fitted to the Rover 2000/3500 (P6) with inboard
rear discs and deDion suspension.  If so, do not bother trying to replicate
it.  The only use for the handbrake in an emergency was as a grab-handle -
it certainly had no discernable effect on speed.

This arrangement also required the diff to be lowered to change the pads
and a special tool to wind the piston back in.  I have been told that
E-type Jag was even worse: the muffler had to be removed first.

Trevor Jordan
74 TR6 CF29281U