Spitfire oil cooler observation

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spitfire oil cooler observation
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 09:38:22 -0800
It's a really slow day -  Anyway, I have installed an oil cooler, directly
below the radiator, between the frame rails, and directly (about 1/2
inch)above the anti roll bar, on the Spitfire (this is the V6, but should
apply to all). This is in preparation for draining and refilling after the
engine rebuild/break-in.  At that time I will connect the hoses, prime and
refill, so at this point I have just mounted the cooler in it's current
location in readyness for the 1000 mile drain and change over to
synthetics.  It fits perfectly in this area, and does not interfere with
the airflow to the radiator.  The only draw back, is there is no airflow
when stopped, but as I rarely sit, not moving for long, I don't see this as
a major problem.  What I noticed was, the other day when I was working to
fabricate a small scoop to help direct airflow to the core while at speed,
the core was warm, not hot but warm.  Interesting in that nothing was
flowing through it as it is not even connected at this time.  I wondered
where the heating was coming from (just got off the freeway after the usual
20 mile run) and figured with all that air flowing by it, it should be
cold.  All I can figure is the air flow in this area is pushing radiator
exhaust heat back through, so I'll see if the little scoop helps out by
forcing more air through in the right direction.  Besides it looks really
cool, kinda like the little under valance scoops on the later V12 Jag's.
There has to be plenty of air flowing through, as when you look squarely at
the front of the car, the cooler sits directly in the airflow just below
the lip of the lower valance, and there is nothing to block the back for at
least a foot or more.  It's protected very well by the frame rails, and the
anti-roll bar, and other than the usual road rocks that the radiator sees
it should be well out of harm way.  I hate to think that I'll be adding
heat to the oil instead of removing it (although it is still much cooler
than the oil flowing through it)!!

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (project)
73 Ford Courier (parts hauler, rain vehicle, getting a V6 soon!)