Re: 8 Stroking Defined

To: David_J_Hill@email.msn.com, owner-triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: 8 Stroking Defined
From: Peter.Hore@dhs.vic.gov.au
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 98 16:50:28 +1100
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>If you can imagine an engine firing regularly on every second spark, i.e.
>induction, compression, no ignition, exhaust then induction compression,
>ignition, exhaust. You might think of it as a regular misfire.

David

I found on my PI's that you sometimes got a regular misfire on idle when
the fuel pressure was low and one or two of the injectors would not open
fully.

This was usually caused by low voltage to the Lucas petrol pump and the
misfire fixed itself when the revs increased above idle. Extra relays
and/or a bigger alternator helped supply a good 14 or so volts to the
petrol pump.

I remember also that there always seemed to be 2 injectors that had a lower
'pulse' than the others. To feel what I mean, gently touch the plastic fuel
feed lines near the injector with the tip of you index finger when the
engine is idling and compare the strength of each pulses. If you find one
is worse than all others swap that injector for a good/clean one.

Peter H

73 TR6
72 2500 PI (donor car)