O\D won't kick in

To: Bob <rlmcneit@cpis.net>, TR List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: O\D won't kick in
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 14:55:06 -0500
Bob writes:

>HELP!
>Just got my o\d tranny back in the car(A-type).  I didn't connect the
>driveshaft so I could put it in 4th and check the o\d operation.  I
>manually moved the solenoid lever up, but nothing happened.  pulled the
>plug, and there's oil in it, so the pump seems to be working.  What else
>could it be??                          Bob Mc          64TR4

Bob,

Sometimes it takes a few cycles to work the air out of the system.
Keep trying it and see if it clears up.  Another problem is that the
clutch in the O/D is stuck to the mating surface.  In the past we have
had to smack the housing with a soft face hammer (raw hide, in fact) to
get it to let go.  And, are you operating the lever far enough?

Just a few things to check out.

Dave Massey
71 TR6
74 TR6