Re: Way off topic

To: Brad Kahler <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Subject: Re: Way off topic
From: schuyler grace <schuyler@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 1998 17:28:43 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Brad,

I've been thinking about what you're trying to do, and I believe there's a
pretty good
answer that doesn't require the use of Acrobat.  I suggest you scan each of the
pages at
100% and save them as "JPG" files with little or no compression.  My experience
has been
that you can get very good, printable, and readable scans (full color) at less
than 100K
bytes per page.  At that rate, you could store 700 pages on a CD-ROM.  If you
compressed
the files more (experiment to see what is readable), saved them as greyscale
images,
and/or made the final product smaller than the original (more experimentation
required),
you could probably even make this into something that could be posted on the
Web -- much
to Haynes's consternation, I'm sure.  (Speaking of which, I wonder if Ken or
another of
the VTR folks would have any luck approaching Haynes and other publishers about
posting
out of print manuals on the VTR Web site as a public service.)

After you've completed the scans, a finishing touch would be to build HTML
pages that
emulate the table of contents and the index, so folks could go right to the
appropriate
pages using a browser.  If you need help with the HTML or converting the scans
into
something that's manageable, let me know.

-Schuyler

--
Schuyler E. Grace
schuyler@bellsouth.net