Re: Floppy coil...

To: jbonina@nectech.com
Subject: Re: Floppy coil...
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 1998 12:38:00 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, blang@MIT.EDU
On Mon, 9 Mar 1998 jbonina@nectech.com wrote:

>      While staring (and dreaming) at the engine compartment of the TR6 this
>      weekend, I noticed that the ignition coil was held on (?) by two bolts
>      that did not go entirely into the holes they were designed to go into.
>      The heads of the bolts were about 1/2" away from being torqued
>      completed down. The bolts appeared much newer that the surrounding
>      hardware and I assume the DPO put new ones in there that weren't the
>      correct size or length; maybe even screwed up the threads. The coil is
>      just blowin'in the breeze!

I've seen this before...

>      Does anyone out there know what the size (including length and thread
>      count) of these two bolts should be? If the threads are 'screwed up',
>      is it just a matter of re-tapping the threads?

The bolts to the block are either 5/15 or 3/8 bolts, and they are short -
like 1 inch, maybe even a 1/2 inch long. And they are fine threads, as you
should expect.

If you pull them out and the threads in the block are buggered, you can
probably run a tap of the proper dimension into the block and clean up
the threads.

The holes don't extend into the engine internals, so cleaning up the
holes should be a pretty benign excercise.

If the threads in the block are hopeless, you can always remount the coil
on the inner fender well... some folks recommend this as a better method
of mounting the coil than the stock method anyway. If you do mount the
coil on the fender well, be careful that the coil remains more or less
vertical. I've heard (this is heresay) that tipping the coil on its side
increases the likelyhood of coil failure. You don't want that.

>      As always folks, thank A BUNCH!

Yer welcome.

>      Jeff
>      '73 TR6 in Mass (USA)
>      3 weeks from driving for the first time

You mean you haven't driven it yet this year? ;-)

I haven't driven mine either. I need to replace my clutch T/O bearing
(this weekend, hopefully), but the weather has made the thought of taking
a spin a prevalent thought over my way. Heck, they've even swept the sand
and salt up off the street around my way already. This is way early, I
might add!

Driving around this weekend, I saw TR250 driving on the road in
Springfield, MA and a Spitfire in my home town... time to get the TR on
the road!

later,
rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |