Re: Smelly TR6

To: "Mark S. Lepore, MD" <Sirmoog@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Smelly TR6
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 1998 12:24:01 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Mark S. Lepore, MD wrote:

> I have a problem with my 1971 TR6.  It puts out some real
> smelly exhaust fumes.  I thought there was a leak in the
> exhaust allowing fumes into the cabin, so I just put on a
> whole new exhaust system.  I'm still smelling the fumes at
> this point.  It is so bad that my hair and clothes smell
> of "exhaust" after I drive my little car.  ...

What you describe is a common problem with the TR6.  I would
suggest that you first check the exhaust system throughout
for leaks.   However, it sounds like you have already done
this.  Check the exhaust manifold, the connection between
the manifold and the exhaust, and the numerous connections
between pipes.  This is pretty easy to do with the car up
on a lift, with the engine running.  If you do this with
a "cold" engine, in the first minute when the pipes are still
moderately cool to the touch, you can quickly run your hands
along the pipes, top and bottom to see if you can "feel" any
puffs of exhaust escaping.  However, I'm going to assume that
you've already done this, and that there are no leaks.

The other cause of this problem has to do with the placement
of the exhaust pipe.  The stock placement of the exhaust pipe
in the rear corner is the best placement for avoiding exhaust
fumes.  It is important to be sure that the exhaust pipe
extends all the way past the rear valence, practically as far
out as the bumper.  Otherwise, what happens is the exhaust fumes
get drawn up and over the rear deck, and pulled forward towards
the passenger cabin.  If you have a center-mounted exhaust
(such as the Monza exhaust) this problem is even worse.  Making
sure that your trunk lid seal is in good condition, and tightly
sealed, will help along those lines.  Also make sure that the
large plugs in the trunk floor are in place.  (Leave the drain
holes open, though!)

I have this same problem on my 1974 TR6, which has the center-mounted
Monza exhaust, with exhaust pipes that do not stick out far enough
in the back.  I do not have the problem on my 1970 TR6 with the
factory-style exhaust.  Both cars have a decent trunk lid seal, but
the one on the 1974 is somewhat poor.

--ken
'70 & '74 TR6 Daily Drivers

--