TR6 Turn Signal Fix

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR6 Turn Signal Fix
From: "bill" <triumph1@nr.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 1998 19:31:31 -0500
I posted a couple of days ago about a friend whose TR6 signal flashers
stopped working. I thought all may want to read the fix--it's good to keep
this in your archives for when your signals quit.

Thanks to all that replied.  Irv, you were spot on!

Bill Wood
1973 TR6
1979 TR8 Coupe
1980 TR8 Coupe
1981 TR8 F.I.
Greensboro, N.C.

I did it!

Just in time to watch the race too.  Those pesky signal lamp gremlins
are gone.  Jamie Palmer actually tipped me to a clue.  Not enough
current...versus voltage.  Bill Wood and I talked about the hazard
flasher switch and the contacts that deliver the power to the signal
circuit.  With all that in mind, I bypassed the hazard switch with a
jumper straight from the battery to the "B" terminal of the signal
flasher.  You guessed it...blink...blink...blink.  So now I have to get
my chainsaw out to get at the hazard switch.  Actually I just removed
the speedometer and it was pretty easy from there.  I checked the
contacts with my volt/ohm meter and sure enough, resistance between the
power source and the signal flasher.  Bad switch, or at least bad
contacts.  New problem...new switch costs $100.00.  Time to rebuild this
intricate piece of plastic and brass.  I tore it down, cleaned all
contacts, reassembled.  Used dielectric grease on all contacts this
time.  Results:  left signal works fine, right side works but sluggish.
Then I remembered Bob Brown telling me about the signal flasher switch
and it's contacts.  Removed the switch, cleaned and lubed, reassembled.
Now all signals work fine.  Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy!!
Now when I get the new bulbs I ordered for the hazard switch, I can put
it all back together and get her inspected.

Thanks to all that helped.  Now I must survey the damage from hair loss!

Pat