Re: brake fluid

To: Sam Gentry <hsgentry@cfw.com>
Subject: Re: brake fluid
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 1998 16:17:05 -0800 (PST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

On Sun, 8 Mar 1998, Sam Gentry wrote:

> I am replacing my master cylinder on my GT6 and because of a brake fluid
> leak the area under the bracket was badly pealed.  I removed all the
> damaged paint, sanded to bright metal and tried to paint the area.  Major
> fisheye!  I have used every solvent known to man and can't remove the
> residual brake fluid.

Have you tried TSP yet?  It is more caustic than solvent but is rumored to
remove brake fluids...

You also may be able to remove it with a paint stripper; to my knowledge
DOT3 and 4 brake fluids are glycol based and may bond with an
alcohol-based stripper, enabling you to remove it... someone with more
chemistry knowledge than me should be able to clarify this

-Malcolm