Circlip Removal

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Circlip Removal
From: tomwalling@pvh.com
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1998 11:47:35 -0500
Does anybody out there have any clever tips on how to remove the that are
used to keep the needle bearings in the countershot gear cluster and also on
the mainstay cluster on  a TR6  transmission?

 I know that the ends of the 2 that hold the bearings are angled (like this:
//), and the theory is to use a wide-bladed screwdriver to pry one end up,
and then lever the rest off.  I can't seem to get them to budge.  My
screwdriver blade just slips off every time I try to twist it.

Then there's the one on the main shaft!  My friend Bob Lang calls it "The
from Hell" (or the CFH for short).  Is there some nondiscursive way to
remove it?  So far I have bought 2 pairs of pliers, and modified the tips of
one set to cut off the pins that go into the holes on normal.  I then cut
notches into the outside edges of the tips with an inward taper so the
couldn't slide up the outside of the tool.  Well, it didn't slide up the
tool, but the geometry of the opening changed as it expanded, and the tool
slipped out the side!  There must be some really simple, elegant way to get
these #@&%!! things off..

As in life, it's always the little things that cause the most trouble...