Re: Multi Use ATF

To: john donohoe <gt6driver@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Multi Use ATF
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 15:39:54 -0800 (PST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

On Tue, 3 Mar 1998, john donohoe wrote:

> This is the second reference I've seen for a novel use for auto trans
> fluid. ATF in a manual 'box? Seems like the oil in mine (GT6+) is a
> lot heavier than that!
>
> The other one I saw recently was ATF in the dashpots of Strombergs!
> This is actually the one I'm most curious about, as I can never
> remember *what* I'm supposed to squirt in there...

Dashpot oil, of course!

Not that anyone really does that... I use 20w50 in mine, cuz that's what
is in the oil can.

> Any body else get this much use out of a fluid that I've never even
> considered purchasing? I'll be the first to admit that maybe I'm
> missing something here!

Some people suggest it for lever-style shock fluid... I've never tried it
for such, but who knows.

I bet it's got detergents & swelling agents in it; inside passages of a
slushbox MUST be clean, and the seals can't leak... YMMV

-Malcolm