Re: Pertronix Ignition & TR6 Distributor Removal (Peter Zaborski's 3/1

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Pertronix Ignition & TR6 Distributor Removal (Peter Zaborski's 3/1 Submission)
From: William Smith <wlsmith@idt.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 18:09:22 -0500
Regarding Peter's question about removal of the distributor, unless the
distributor drive gear is withdrawn (which should not be necesary), the
distributor will go back in only one way.  This is because there is a
pin which goes through the bottom of the distributor shaft.  The pin is
slightly offset from center (you have to look hard to notice the
offset).  This pin fits into a matching offset slot in the top of the
drive gear and is what causes the distributor shaft to rotate.  If the
distributor is inserted incorrectly, it will not seat properly.

Now for my questions:

I also recently installed a Pertronix ignition on my '72 TR6 and
slightly different experiences -

1. I didn't have to "move" the hole for the attaching screw, but I did
have to enlarge it slightly.  I did not see Roger Bolick's instructions
on the list, but If anyone has them I'd be interested in reading them.

2. I had the opposite experience from Peter's with regard to the idle
speed.  While Peter said his idle speed "increased" significantly, mine
"decreased" significantly.  I found that the reason was that the timing
was retarded after the installation of the module.  I corrected that by
adjusting the timing.  Since the Pertronix module placement is not
adjustable, I cannot understand why Peter and I would have such
differing experiences.  If anyone has any ideas, I'd be very interested
in hearing them.

Bill Smith
'72 TR6 CC82899U